Monday 9 June 2014

WORLD CUP WORLD CUP WORLD CUP

I see that the Guardian has now launched its own countdown to the World Cup blog, stealing my idea. It's finally dawning on me that it's really happening - I spent an hour or so yesterday watching previews on Grantland and getting into it. The Men in Blazers guys on Grantland are pretty funny, actually.

Flying next Tuesday, staying overnight in Paris and then over to Sao Paulo on Wednesday morning. Have done zero research into Brazilian culture or things to see - my sister-in-law and travel companion Lindsey has a Lonely Planet, I'm just going to go with the flow. I might go a bit more safe and touristy than I normally would in, say, China, given the crime and political instability - I'm kind of avoiding developing any kind of "must see" list so that I don't end up taking unnecessary risks. I keep reminding myself that people do actually visit Brazil all the time, it's not like I'm going to North Korea. I also have a contact in Sao Paulo from Goldsmiths who might be able to show us around a little.

I saw a great documentary at the Greenwich Picturehouse about a slum clearance project in Salvador, where I'm going to watch Bosnia & Herzegovina vs Iran (Lindsey will be leaving her Team USA scarf at home for that one), it looks absolutely beautiful.


The whole West Country plan is really helping as well - for a while I was worried that I wouldn't even be able to enjoy Brazil because it would be impossible to shut out job anxiety. I think it's going to be fine now, my mind feels much clearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment