Friday 6 June 2014

Between the Creative Economy and the Economy of Creativity: Resistance and Radical Contingencies

No just kidding, although I have been challenged and enlightened by my odd, not-quite-dialogue with Final Bullet. I had almost 300 page views for my first post and around 40 for the second, I'd like to apologise to all those people. Normal service now resumes.


My mum is staying with us and we've told her about Bath. This is pretty much locked in now. I applied for a job in Bristol on Wednesday night and the recruitment consultant called me back Thursday afternoon. It's a PR agency, we'll see how it goes. Their employee perks include "bar open on Fridays stocked with free beer and cider".

"And cider."

So yeah we're going to give notice on our flat in August and move in with my mum September and October before finding a place in Bath/Bristol in November. I'd really prefer Bath but it's about £145 a month in train fares to commute between the two. Bristol is a great city but I need time and support to deprogramme myself from "I'm not in London, I'm missing out" syndrome - returning to my hometown, my birthright, feels like a natural step as opposed to moving to another city and constantly squinting my eyes in order to make it look like Camberwell.

Anyway I have to go, we're all going to the V&A for some fucking reason. Christ that place is filled to the rafters with "maker culture".

;)

4pm Update: The V&A was heavy. I'm usually pretty impatient in museums, but this time Jess and my mum were going to the exhibitions and I wasn't - I knew I had two hours to kill on my own, no more and no less. Also I didn't have a smartphone. I spent an hour in the first room, the Japan collection, looking at basically every single object. Then I checked out some tapestries in the Britain collection, then the small contemporary photography show by the main entrance. I felt I had the time to do it, there was no better possible thing to be doing under those circumstances, I couldn't sneak out for a cheeky pint or anything, not really anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment