Friday 16 May 2014

Sauerkraut reboot

Tried the sauerkraut again (I'd left the jar open for a bit but Jess complained about the smell), there's something funny going on. Decided to write it off and start again.

This time I have a small white (yellow?) cabbage. Sliced it more finely this time, layered a lot of rock salt into it as I put it into a bowl, and then massaged it for 15 minutes until it had given off a decent amount of moisture. Really jammed it into the jar. I still had to top it up with a little water but not like last time. Wedged it down with some leaves.

It was quite a small cabbage so there isn't very much in the jar, I could have fit in another cabbage in but that's OK, early days. Let's see how this goes!

I have a jar of currywurst sauce from a trip to Hamburg. If I can get the sauerkraut right, I'll have to do a currywurst / sauerkraut night for a Germany game during the World Cup.


This is the Bosnia-Herzegovina team, not the German team. I am watching them play against Iran in Salvador, it's the only tickets I could get.

If I was younger and keener I'd do some kind of Bosnia vs Iran buildup blog, like reading their best poetry, eating in their restaurants, watching their best movies etc and rating them head-to-head, and then that decides which team I support on the day. I'll probably just focus on getting the sauerkraut right! But I might do the restaurant one, that's easy.

3 comments:

  1. Jane complains about the smell too. Girls and sauerkraut, man, they don't mix.

    ReplyDelete