Wednesday 21 May 2014

Job searching

I said in my last post that I have a policy of not discussing my job search - to clarify, I mean that I am not discussing particular jobs applied for, industries/roles being targeted, progress in applications. The overall plan is that I will be totally silent/evasive about what I am up to, and then suddenly just announce that I'm moving to Dover to become a fireman (for example).

I will confide that I basically have no strategy at all, other than applying for London jobs first before giving up and applying elsewhere (I like the idea of living in Kent). This is more for my wife's benefit, although I would miss my London friends, my tai chi class and my band.

I have some dark patches where I basically feel that I'm already on the scrapheap, and I just want to move to a monastery. But I remind myself that this job thing is not about me, it's just a puzzle I have to solve in order to eat and have dignity. I'm trying to leave the creative class precisely because it depends too much on "passion" and identification with your job - it's no good starting to fixate on and romanticise other lines of work. I have to detach myself from the process. This is why I am not talking about it - I don't want to reinforce any embryonic attachment to a particular job opportunity or line of work. It's just a puzzle. Present myself in the right way to the right employer, and I'm all set. It's not about me.

All I am really trying to do is to provide my wife with some stability while she builds her career. Then I will live off the millions she will rake in as a professor of visual cultures!


7 comments:

  1. Here you go, become a tai chi instructor. Surprisingly easy to get certified as an instructor in things. Was looking the other day at krav maya. One week full time training and you can start your own class. Also, most people who do that kind of thing are terrible at the internet. I know, once you're doing something great as your job, who wants to spend all their time internet marketing? But I'm talking about the basics. No websites, or very poor websites. No email address. All that. You could clean up.

    http://www.taichicentre.com/instructor_training.php

    Medway Tai Chi. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Krav Maga, I mean. http://www.kravmagaglobal-uk.com/become-a-krav-maga-global-instructor/

      Delete
  2. Yes I've thought about this (true fact: Jess is a qualified reiki person) - I would need to significantly improve my tai chi skill so it's not an immediate option, but down the line I think it could work. And you're right about the internet!

    I have a specific business model in mind centred around the "18 form", a shortened routine devised by one of the four contemporary "roving ambassadors" for Chen style, Chen Zhenglei. I studied this in one of his schools in Hong Kong - it's relatively quick to learn, I think if you pushed it as a good entry point to tai chi it might work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Think there are loads of people (me included) who are drawn to tai chi but worry that the classes will be full of old people. Gap in the market there for something presenting itself as not for geriatrics.

      Delete
    2. Yep. I also want to market it as a kind of anti-yoga - no chanting, no mysticism, no expensive gear or faddishness, just an exercise that Chinese people have been doing for 600 years. Not that I'm personally anti-yoga, but it could be a good hook.

      Delete
    3. I think you should start this now. You have the credentials -- 10 years practice, you've done it in HK -- and as you'd do a beginners class you don't need to be that great, just a bit better than people who don't know anything.

      Delete
    4. I could probably chance it but I wouldn't feel very good about myself, it would be a real cowboy move. I haven't improved that much in 10 years, I'd need to really focus for a bit. I don't think you can get by just being one step ahead of your students, like in schools, but I could be wrong.

      Now of course what I could do is develop and market the concept and partner with an experienced instructor...

      Delete