Tuesday 20 May 2014

Maths and English


Wow, leaving it late today.

I have a new policy of not discussing my job search at all, even with my wife, so I can't really talk about what I did today, but it was job search related. It involved doing very basic maths and English tests at a community college. Some of the maths was worryingly tricky - I've fucking forgotten how to do long division. The worst one was this:

"Sarah wants to watch how much fat she is eating. The recommended daily intake for women is 70g. The meal she is cooking contains 48g. What percentage of her daily intake is that? Round it to the nearest number."

Go ahead, try to do it without a computer. Maybe it will be second nature to you, I don't know. It took me like ten minutes. Got it right though.



I also had to take an ICT test, things like word processing, database programmes, presentation programmes, spreadsheets, emails. I did slightly worse than expected on this and retook it - I was particularly annoyed that I only got a Level 1 on presentation programmes rather than a Level 2, even though the whole point of me being there is to avoid ever making a fucking Powerpoint ever again, ever.

Also the beer article that broke my spirit was published today, it's had a good response.

1 comment: