Sunday 27 April 2014

My laptop is broken

I'm putting off a lot of major life decisions until after the 2014 World Cup. I don't regret booking my trip to Brazil but I kind of wish the tournament had been held in February. The money runs out at the end of September, if I stick to my austerity budget. I'm using my two week holiday at the World Cup as an excuse not to apply for jobs, because who would take me on if I'm about to go on holiday? But really I'm not interested in applying for work. I'm relying on sheer fear to settle the employment question, and I'm not close enough to the money running out to panic and actually get a job.

Job ideas I've thought about and then scrapped without much effort to properly explore:

- social researcher
- market researcher
- beer/pub "expert" I.e. mix of research and journalism, focus on community/social aspects
- beer/pub trade journalist
- trade journalist

That's not including various stupid ideas for my own businesses, eg micro pub that only sells cans, a combined TEFL school and pop-up kitchen, etc

Ideas still being considered:

- PhD
- copy editor
- TEFL teacher
- local government job

But really I'm pinning my hopes on panic after the World Cup. London is finally coughing me up.

My first thought when my laptop broke yesterday was "fuck" but my second thought was "good". I hate pretty much everything about the Internet. So I'll just run this blog until the World Cup using my phone or the computers in Goldsmiths library. I kind of hope my phone breaks.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see a new blog entry from you I almost welled-up.

    "micro pub that only sells cans". Superb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It already feels incredibly therapeutic. I think this is related to finishing dance to the music of time on some level. Or maybe all the britpop features in the papers - some sense of taking stock

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personal blogs also interesting as they're wilfully against what websites "should" be about - i.e. specific and keyword-y. Fuck that, and fuck web 2.0!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Content, content, content. This is pretty much why I am giving up on the idea of being a journalist/PR etc.

    ReplyDelete